08-01-2024 | Dutch vocational education aims to prepare students for professional practice and lifelong learning in Dutch language, mathematics and digital skills. The goal is also to prepare them for active participation in society.
Concerns about inadequate skills led the Minister of Education to announce additional measure in July 2023. Many vocational students fall short in Dutch and mathematics, posing risks of unemployment and low income.
Current regulations limit the integration of Dutch and mathematics in vocational education contributing to low skill levels. Citizenship education in vocational schools also needs improvement, as surveys reveal incomplete coverage of citizenship aspects. Qualification requirements for citizenship education are broadly defined, leading to varied interpretations.
New initiatives proposed by the minister include actions to enhance education quality, invest in teacher competencies, and monitor student proficiency in Dutch and mathematics. These measures require collaborative efforts between the government and schools for vocational education and training.
Read the full news item
- Cedefop (2023). Netherlands: how to equip VET students with the adequate basic skills to participate in society successfully. National news on VET
- Eindrapportage Professionele achtergrond van mbo-docenten basisvaardigheden en burgerschap | Rapport | Rijksoverheid.nl [Final report on professional background of VET teachers of basic skills and citizenship education | Report | National government]
- Kaderbrief aanpak basisvaardigheden mbo [Framework letter to parliament on the approach on basic skills in VET]
- Burgerschapsonderwijs in een veranderende samenleving | Rapport | Rijksoverheid.nl [Citizenship education in a changing society | Report | National government]
- Taal en rekenen in het vizier | Advies | Onderwijsraad [Language and Math in focus | Advice | Education Council]
- Aanpak van laaggeletterdheid | Rapport | Algemene Rekenkamer [Tackling low literacy levels | Report | Court of Audit]
- PISA Netherlands – Programme for International Student Assessment (pisa-nederland.nl)